Monday, October 25, 2010

Tip Jar

I'm not sure I'm the best candidate to be giving writing advice but I'll try my best to explain my writing process tricks.

1. Leave room for mistakes by giving yourself multiple drafts to further improve on each time you revise.  The initial draft can be as mediocre as possible as long as you have every intention to keep increasing its quality.  Don't over think the first draft, but read the final copy thoroughly.
2. Brainstorm relative ideas and points of interest involved with your topic.  Write them down and decide how you can involve them in your paper.  Try to sort them out so that they occur in a relevant order.
3. Give yourself time to write.  Procrastination is a common vice and is a heavy negative factor in bad writing.  Begin your paper in your immediate free time and the quality of the writing will be much greater.
4. Bring a critic into the equation.  As many times as you read it you might not find all of the faults due to the lack of knowledge which led to the initial mistake.  Somebody with a good writing history and grammar skills is your ideal viewer.
5. Enjoy the piece.  The less tedious the writing seems the more passion you will have towards your work.  If possible pick a topic that interests you and if not then research it until you are able to write from a highly educated point on the matter.  Keep the writing interesting for you as well as the reader.

4 comments:

  1. I like the 5 tips you give. I especially like the fifth one. A person isnt going to do well on a writing assignment if they dont enjoy what they are doing. You only get out what you put in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just so proud of you little goofballs. I feel like you've learned something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we both know a little too much about number 3 haha

    ReplyDelete